January Things

Hello! I'll do a family update this week. Alice is hesitantly enjoying her newfound walking ability. She always wants to be walking around the house, but mostly only if she can hold onto one of my fingers while she does it. She's constantly reaching for my finger to get me to take her on a walk around the house. As long as I can listen to a podcast, I am enjoying this baby-walker stage of my career.

Alice is officially down to one nap a day--full stop. When Jack was a baby he toggled between one and two naps for several weeks before the one-nap schedule stuck, but Alice really landed on one nap last week and isn't going back. This is inconvenient timing since our church is now at 10:30 and she usually goes down for her nap around then. She is extremely wiggly and grumpy by the time primary comes around if we skip that morning nap (making it extra challenging for us to teach). So yesterday we put her down for a 30-minute catnap before church, hoping she would take an additional nap after church. Nope. Couldn't do the second nap and it was a rough afternoon. So for future Sundays we'll just keep her up until after church. We only need to make it through two more months until nursery.

Jack had many days of cancelled school last week. Monday was MLK day, Tuesday was a snow day, Wednesday was a half school day, and Thursday there was a burst pipe and school was cancelled. Combined with Alice abandoning her second nap, I felt like I was really white-knuckling my way through the week. I'd better have a good plan in place for getting through summer. I wish we lived in a neighborhood with lots of kids around Jack's age for him to run outside and play with. I'm seriously considering driving to Utah for a month of summer so he can play with the good neighborhood kids and cousins there. My other plan for surviving summer is going into it with lowwwww expectations. I'm going to do my best to abandon all hopes of productivity, and instead focus on fun PNW summer adventures--enjoying time with the kids instead of pining after my to-do list that I'll realistically never get to sink my teeth into over the summer. 

Jared has been practicing his oil painting. I'm proud of him--he's wanted to pursue this for a decade and now is his time. I love watching him jump into something he enjoys in the evenings. After he gets better I'd love for him to teach me some basics, but for now I'm enjoying diving into my own interests while he's painting. I've learned over the past decade that I am my happiest self when I'm learning something new and doing something creatively fulfilling (which is why I'm so excited to watch Jared take up a creative hobby!). 

For now my "thing" is listening to the Dear Alice design podcast and jotting down notes while I do little home projects like putting up a gallery wall of family pictures. You'd think that would be a one-day project, but it's been tricky. I started out with a wall of thrifted frames I've collected over the past few years. It took me hours and hours to arrange and put it up, but unfortunately it still came out looking off. I like the idea of a gallery wall of all different frames, but something's just not working. I'm leaning toward trying simple black frames and cardstock mats that I'll wrap in bits of linen cut from a fitted linen sheet I recently wore a hole through. I've already redone one frame this way and I love it. It feels very "me" and unique with the linen mats, but I like the uniformity of all black frames. It'll probably take several more weeks to decide on or thrift more black frames and then make the mats. Good thing I like a creative project. For now I'm leaving the gallery wall up so we can enjoy the pictures.

^^Dusky view from my favorite walk. Equal parts creepy and magical being in a forest with trees this tall after dark ("after dark" being exactly 4:30 p.m.)
^^Jared snapped this picture on a shopping date with Alice. It feels like a time capsule. We are obsessed with her. 
^^And this picture could be the cover of my memoir. Jared brought me breakfast in bed on Saturday (so sweet). As I began eating I realized this is the most I've ever appreciated a quiet breakfast in bed. Alice is in a phase where if I am eating anywhere near her, she will yell and point at my plate until I set my own plate in front of her to pick off of. It doesn't matter if she has her own plate of all the same things on it--she wants MY plate. So I usually just sit next to her and we both eat off my plate. Anyway, I was nearly done with my breakfast when Jared walked in with Alice and before I knew it she was crawling up onto me and commandeering my breakfast-in-bed plate for herself haha. She wasn't even hungry. She had just finished her own all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet downstair. But because I was eating off of it she all of a sudden required the plate of eggs for herself. Parenthood, man. What a funny ride.
^^Jack with a slice of Uncle Will's birthday cake, somehow ended up perched like this over the entire kitchen island to eat. Feels weirdly similar to that last Alice picture. Funny how no one batted an eye or questioned this. I honestly didn't even register it was happening until I had finished my own piece of cake.
^^Jack put his old pullups he doesn't use anymore in Alice's room for when she gets to that stage. She found them and commanded we put them on our heads like hats. Queen Alice loves an accessory.
^^Hanging out with Alice and listening to my Dear Alice podcast in the background. I appreciate that it doesn't try to push a particular interior design style on you. They really teach you how to understand and cultivate your own design style unique to you, and then how to execute it.
^^The most snow we've seen all winter.
^^Jack digging for dinosaur bones
^^Cool boy organizing his books
^^I remember this same stage so distinctly with Jack--the "put me in a sink and let me play with everything on the counter" stage. 
^^Jack used to spend SO much time every day talking to and playing with his two favorite stuffed animals, Bunny and Foxy. He would talk and giggle with them as he laid in bed every night. Since he started kindergarten that has been happening less and less. It's sad to watch him grow up, and extra sweet now when I catch him in a conversation with his stuffed pals.

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.