Air Fryer Successes

It's been quite the busy week. The air fryer has officially been broken in. We've made crinkle fries and normal fries (from frozen), fresh hot wings, Brussels sprouts, hashbrown patties, and aidells sausages. The crinkle fries were a slam dunk. Very crispy without adding so much as a drop of oil (they might already have been coated in something oily since they were prepackaged though). The normal fries were a bit limp, but I think we crowded them in there too tightly--you should definitely make sure there's space around each item if you want it to get nice and crispy, just like when roasting things in the oven. Everything else came out great. The real test was hot wings. I made them like I normally would if I was deep frying them, but popping them in the air fryer was lots easier and less messy. They didn't come out quite as crispy as they would from a deep fry, but pretty close. For how much time and mess (and oil) was saved, absolutely worth losing 10% crispiness.         

Jack got sick with a bad cold over the weekend. I couldn't even be annoyed because we're already at the end of November and this was his FIRST time being sick enough to have to miss school, and he only had to miss one day (Friday). During his last two years in preschool, he was pretty consistently having to stay home with a cold for a full week out of every month. His immune system is stronger now and the sick policy is more lenient at the public school (as long as he's not fevery, throwing up, or clearly feeling awful I can send him). I'm so happy we've made it to a less sickly winter. (Knock on wood.)

We had our family pictures taken by someone other than myself and my trusty tripod for the first time EVER on Saturday. Jack was looking a little under-the-weather and Alice was lukewarm about the smiling on command thing (of course), but I'm sure we got some good ones. There were a few fall leaves hanging on in the background so I'm glad we were able to squeeze them in. Can't wait to see them next month.

Jared gave Jack and Alice a little hair trim before the pictures and he really did a pretty good job! He's cut Jack's hair for years (he cuts his own hair too and has done lots of his buddies' hair through the years). I was going to attempt Alice's hair myself because Jared cut my hair during Covid and it was, um, not spectacular? But when I was at Target grabbing last-minute pants for Jack's outfit Jared offered to trim Alice's hair and I realized, I'm just as much a beginner as he is. He can watch a youtube video as well as I can. If he does Alice's haircuts from the get-go, he will be more open to doing them in the future and he'll get better and better, just like he has with Jack's hair. It was a practice in letting go of the fear of her hair coming out wonky for the pictures, for the benefit of offloading a parenting task to Jared (that he enjoys) for probably years to come. I think this is something many moms struggle with, but the more I practice the better I get. Jared WANTS to be involved in raising his children and keeping up the house. When I can let go of wanting things to be a certain way and let him take full ownership of a particular duty, everyone wins. (My favorite example of this is when we fell into a pattern of me emptying all the dishes because I don't mind that task and Jared does, and Jared loading the dirty dishes because he doesn't mind that task and I do. It makes me feel so much more excited about cooking because I know I won't be the one cleaning up the mess. We eat better because of this division of labor, and the system runs so much more smoothly and without bitterness. Neither of us nags the other to do their part anymore--we both trust and know that the other will get to it within a reasonable time frame since we have taken full ownership of our own parts of the process. 10/10, would recommend dividing up household tasks in this way when possible.)

I'm off to make a Christmas shopping Black Friday plan. Jared doesn't have work tomorrow so we're going to make a game plan and maybe even do all our Christmas shopping. It seems like most stores have already started running their Black Friday sales a week or more early this year. So different from when I was little and the only Black Friday sales were the ones you'd wait in line for at the actual store at midnight after Thanksgiving, which I never participated in. I love that everything is online now! So much easier and cozier. Give me a cocoa and a Christmas movie, and we'll make a cozy date of it. 






Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.