Mother's Day

I wanted to share these pictures of me and my baby today. Jack has been pretttttty tough this last week. A couple days ago I called Jared in tears while he was at work, and blubbered on about how I was terrified we're raising a psychopath because Jack LOVES causing and seeing others in pain. The happiest I've ever seen Jack is when he yanks his dog's ears and she yelps in pain, or when he pulls my hair or grabs my nose with such an intense death grip that I actually start crying. That just delights him so much. Jared reminded me that Jack is a baby, and all babies like getting a reaction from something they can do, since babies don't have control over a lot. There has also been an excess of whining and tantruming this last week, but I think and hope that's in large part due to teething.
Yesterday was a Mother's Day I hope I always remember. After I got all ready for church (by the way, none of these pictures are me dressed up for church--I changed back into my t-shirt dress jammies right when we got home), Jared banished me to our room while he got flowers and gifts on the table and made me breakfast. While I was sitting on our bed texting my mom, bedhead Jack pushed his way into our room holding a book. He flashed me the biggest smile and toddled on over, handed me his book, and sat down next to me. I only got about two pages in before he ran away, but it was still sweet. The breakfast was waffles made from a mix that Jared only added maybe a teaspoon of water too. They came out hard and dense as rocks and were completely inedible, but I feel like that's an important part of at least one Mother's Day meal haha. 
Jack spent the first hour of church giving me a run for my money. I never really hear anything that's said when I have Jack with me. He only stays entertained with any given distraction for 20-30 seconds at a time, and if he's not being successfully distracted, he's either screaming or trying to run away, and then screaming even more when I don't let him run away. I always feel like I've run a marathon by the time church is over. Jared was substituting in nursery and took Jack with him during second hour. Jack loved that, and Jared said he did great with all the other kids. Can't wait for him to go to nursery every week.
After church Jack and I drove around while Jared got set apart as Sunday School President and had a little meeting with his councilors. Jared insisted it would only be 15 minutes, but I knew it would be longer so I was hoping I could get Jack to fall asleep since he was 3 hours overdue for a nap. Ugh, Sundays. Unfortunately Jack wouldn't fall asleep and it was an hour before Jared was done. I was a very grumpy mom on that drive home. I gave everyone the silent treatment and downed my king-size Symphony bar from the bishopric while I glared at everything. Zero regrets about any of that. Once home I went straight to bed and everyone took a nice, long nap.
I felt much better after I woke up and ate some lunch. Jared and Jack slept for another hour (the best mother's day gift of all), and when they woke up I opened my presents from them. They did a really. good. job. My expectations were shockingly low so maybe that helped. One bag was full of my favorite candies, and the other bag was full of little gifts that Jack "picked out" for me. My favorite was this unicorn necklace and matching earrings that apparently Jack pointed at in Wal-Mart and grunted that he "wanted to get it for me." I'm never taking it off. Jared also got me a little journal that he wrote an entry in on what Jack's like right this moment and how much Jack loves me. He says he'll update it every year and add a polaroid of me and Jack. So sweet. He also got me some crayons and sidewalk chalk to do with Jack. We spent all afternoon together in our newly fenced backyard, enjoying the sunshine and chalking on our patio. It was perfect.
Later that afternoon, it was too nice outside to resist taking a little Sunday walk. We ended up at the playground by our house, where me and Jack swung together for a few minutes before going home to call our moms.
Somehow my dad was able to pull off getting ALL of my siblings and their spouses in on a video chat, even my brother on his mission. We told my mom how much we loved her and then gave her the gift my dad also orchestrated: a mother's ring with each of our birth stone's in it. We each gifted her our own birth stone and wrote her a little note about what our stone means and how much we love her. My parents are gems.

We also called Jared's mom, who is in China with his Dad! Looking back, I think we probably called her in the middle of the night in China, oops. Jack was at the end of his rope by this time so mostly I had to be on tantrum-prevention duty, but Jared got to have a nice little chat with his mom too. After they hung up, we threw some brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, and steaks in the oven to broil. Mmmm. Jack only made it halfway through dinner before he had a meltdown and we put him to bed. At least he was cute and a lot of fun during the afternoon. We had a wonderful day together. Being a mother often drains me physically, mentally, and emotionally, but I'm so grateful I get to do it.

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.