Quick Update

Fun things from this week:

1. We had an attempted home break-in. Ok, definitely not "fun" but definitely the biggie of the week. Jared was working a night shift so I was home alone. I heard our gate open, or what sounded like someone up against our house. This was around 10:30, right after I had gone to bed. I blew it off as just my imagination. Then less than a minute later, someone was at our back door trying to get in. I'm impressed that my instincts had me springing out of bed and slamming on every light in the house instead of running to hide. I felt like I was in Home Alone. Savvy Dog went ballistic at the back door, growling and barking. Good doggo. That seemed to scare them away because we didn't hear anything after that. I spent the next half hour pacing the house holding our handgun and talking to my brother Jordan on the phone until I wasn't so freaked out anymore. Savvy continued growling at the back door until I let her out to sniff and make sure they were gone like 10 minutes later.

Unfortunately Jared had to work the next two nights as well. On one of those nights I blocked our gate with our garbage can, only to find that it had been moved the next morning and there were foreign shoeprints in our backyard. Whyyyyyyy. We have since notified the police and our neighbors (one of whom is a police officer and is parking her car out front now). We've installed a lock on the gate and ordered security cameras. I'm still paranoid but not nearly as much as I was last week. I will say that I have a million times during residency been SO HAPPY we have a dog. When Jared is on night shifts or on away rotations, I feel way less wary knowing that I have Savvy with me to scare off the bad guys/alert us if something's off.


2. Jared sent out his CV for his very first potential post-training job! He still has two more years of residency training so it's doubtful that anything will come of it unless they're reallllly desperate for a doctor and willing to wait two years for him, but it's still exciting! The job is in Evanston, Wyoming. At first we just blew past it (he gets emails from job recruiters every day and we ignore most of them), but then we were like, "Waaaaaaait a minute, Evanston is right by Utah. It's, like, literally less than 2 hours from my family, and right by Jared's family cabin in Bear Lake. Also it's Wyoming, which is a nice place to be and usually offers help with loan repayment. Let's look into this." Our ultimate goal is to end up back in Utah Valley, but Utah pays their family med doctors pathetically little. Like, it's enough that we could for sure live off a Utah family med salary, but not enough that we'd be able to pay off those med school loans for probably like 20+ years, even being the scary frugal people we are. So our tentative plan has been to go somewhere else after residency until his loan is paid off, and then go be by family. Evanston is literally the closest we could get and still have good loan repayment options. I'll keep you updated!


3.  We spent the weekend together! The weeks when Jared has to work nights drag on forevvvverrrrrr. It feels like the weekend is never going to come. But come it did! And with it, a bunch of snow! Why, Wyoming, why? We had wanted to go for a little adventure and do some hiking or exploring, but with the icky freezing weather it just wasn't going to happen. So instead our "adventure" was taking the dog to the Bar Nunn dog wash. And now there is snow on the forecast for 4 more days this week. Ughhhhhhhh. Give me good weather or give me death.


Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.