Grenada National Dish: Oil Down

 ^^This lady had the beeeeest patriotic outfit! Obviously Grenada's national colors are red, yellow, and green.
Grenadian Independence Day is February 7 (which also happens to be my mom's birthday, so I'll never forget it!). To celebrate, I went with a friend down to Dodgy Dock, where two Grendian women showed us how to make amazing crab cakes and Grenada's national dish: oil down. Yes, it's as sketchy as it sounds. Basically, you put a bunch of whatever Grenadian produce/meat that you can find into a big pot and cook it all day until the oil rises to the top. Pretty much every oil down includes breadfruit (so weird), saltfish, callaloo (a dark green veggie), plantains, and some sort of fatty meat. Sometimes it's iguana. I think this one had pig snout, but it may have been pig hoof. Actually it's not that all that bad if you try a "good" one, but probably it's not something I'll ever be able to replicate at home, and that's probably not a bad thing.

I do love cultural things like this though! The two Grenadians came dancing down the stairs together to reggae music and then danced until one of them got too tired and had to sit out while the other lady taught the whole class herself, haha. Don't worry, I got that on film! It'll be in my video highlights at the end of the term.

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.