Cheap Flights and Chikungunya Epidemic

(not my phone)

If any of you were waiting for a sign that you should come visit us in Grenada, this is it. You can get round trip tickets from Utah to Grenada for $697 if you come in February! I realize that most of you will be in school, but I hear that the weather is excellent here in February so if you can make it happen, you should. 

In other news, there's been a mosquito-spread virus going around Grenada for the past few weeks. It's called Chikungunya. Despite the fact that it sounds like chicken-goon-ya, it's actually a really nasty sickness that causes severe pain and rashes and horrible feelings all around.

When people first started getting the virus we were like, "Eh, only people in poorer sections of the island will get this." But now we're hearing of more and more friends from school and church getting it. I have one friend who got Chikungunya two weeks ago and she still spends most of her days in bed. She says it's the worst pain she's ever experienced, and her entire body is covered in a nasty rash.

To make things a little bit scarier, there's only one brand of mosquito repellent that really works on the island, and every time a new shipment comes in it's snatched up within hours. I'm down to the last squeeze in my bottle of Odomos mosquito repellent, and I don't know when I'll be able to find more. Yesterday, a Grenada doctor announced that the Chikungunya virus has reached an epidemic level. You can read the article here if that's your thing. I'm sure I'll catch it at some point, and when that day comes you'll be the first to know because all I'll be able to do is sleep, vomit, and blog. Also, the symptoms can potentially last up to a year, so blog postz for monthzzzz. (Also 100 people have died, but I think that's across the entire Caribbean and not in Grenada. Don't worry Mom, We're not going to die.)

Wow, that was a poorly formatted post. "Come visit us! Oh and there's a virus on the island that kills people. But still come." It will have blown over by February though, and we'll have a stockpile of repellent. So still come. Please.

Psh. Third world problems . . .

5 comments

  1. Oh my gosh the ones I was looking at were $800+!!! But I wanted to work Valentine's day...eh, I should probably just snatch it up while I can!! Also, please don't die. I really couldn't handle that. At all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't die! They would probably evacuate all med students from the island if it was really that serious. And girl, work that Valentines Day! I'm sure the tickets won't be that much more expensive in March. And wait . . . I thought you were graduating in December! Will you still be able to work the flower shop after that? That would be awesome. We'll have to talk.

      Delete
  2. I really want to come visit. And Feb would be so Fab. (See what I did there?) I'll ask the husband what he thinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golden! If you decide to (which you should!), just make sure to check the dates with me before booking any flights. Jared's family is thinking about coming down in February too, and as much as I'd love to have a whole big party, that might be weird for you to try and share a bathroom with a random family you've never met before :)

      Delete
    2. I wonder how hard it would be to buddy pass down there. (my dad is a pilot, and buddy passes are cheapy cheapy) I will for sure check dates. I don't want to crash Jared's family vacation!!!

      Delete

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.