Ye Olde' Baby Announcement

You read it right--we're having a baby! Due September 20. This is very early for a pregnancy announcement. I'm only 5 weeks along, but with my last pregnancy the nausea fully took me out at 6 weeks, and then I didn't feel up to announcing until I was in my third trimester, so I've kind of been racing the clock to tell people and get my house in order. If I disappear for a few months, you'll know I'm in the depths of a deep pregnancy nausea despair. 

I'm also not going down without a fight!!! Last time I was blindsided by my extreme/debilitating/dangerous nausea condition called hyperemesis gravidarum (affects about 1% of pregnant women). This time I've got knowledge and preparation on my side. If you or anyone you know suffers from this extreme form of pregnancy nausea (it usually results in an inability to eat or keep anything down, often causing severe dehydration and weight loss), send them to get on the "Preventing Hyperemesis Gravidarum" facebook page. It's so hard to find anyone, even doctors, who understand or can offer helpful information if you're in the HG boat. I had the worst experience with my OB team when I was pregnant with Jack. I'd come in shaking and white as a ghost, begging for help, nausea medication, anything. And then whoever was there would greet me with a big smile and congratulate me on a "successful diet" and refuse to prescribe any medicine. It makes my blood boil thinking about it now. I needed help so badly. But I was literally too sick to research and get into a new OB. I was too sick to even look at a screen for most of my pregnancy. Couldn't look at a phone, computer, or tv without vomiting. I spent months upon months curled up in the fetal position just trying not to die. And yes, that's why it's taken four years for me to feel brave enough to try this again. 

This time I've researched and made a list full of ideas that might keep the nausea to a more manageable level. I've been taking probiotics and vitamins, reducing processed foods and sugars until the nausea arrives, eating protein every hour, and most importantly, as it seems to be the only thing to reliably make a noticeable difference in women with HG, I've started early and aggressive medication. The classic unisom+b6 combo didn't do really anything to help my nausea when I was pregnant with Jack, but I'm reading that if you start taking it as soon as you get a positive pregnancy test, it has time to build up in your system and make a real difference. Fingers crossed. I do have heavier medications on backup in case that doesn't do the job. And in the meantime, I'm exhausted at all times because unisom doubles as a sleep aid. But I'll take exhaustion over nausea every day of the week. 

So anyway, that's what's new here! I figure I have one more week of feeling really pretty good. I'm going to use this time to research and find a helpful OB, stock up my pantry, get a mini fridge for the upstairs (forcing down food and fluids every 1-2 hours is crucial), and enjoy life! I'll keep you updated as much as I can. If I miss a few weeks here or there, maybe toss a prayer my way. Also, please bless the covid situation to chill for a sec. I really need my child to be able to stay in preschool these next few months. 

^^We pushed our bed up against the window and it's the best thing ever for watching sunsets, stargazing, getting some vitamin D on days when it's not too cloudy. One morning me and Jack spent an hour watching a bald eagle on top of a tree behind our house. 
^^Yesterday Jack asked if we could play Settlers of Catan for game night.  Me and Jared were skeptical, but he was very into it and had a great attention span for learning the rules. We played all the way to 10 points and Jack won (with a bit of help). 

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.