Nomads Again!

Well that was madness.

But we did it! We packed up and signed away our Wyoming home. Now I understand why people pay $10,000 to have professional movers do all the packing and loading for them. Absolutely not a possibility for us, but I can understand why you would do that if you had the money to throw around. 

There's a moving truck shortage in Wyoming right now. Probably in lots of other places too. Jared made three reservations (one at each of the moving truck companies in Casper) knowing there was a good chance one or more would fall through. Good foresight. 

Originally the biggest, cheapest option was a 20' truck from U-haul. That was already going to be a tight squeeze for a 3-bedroom house, but there wasn't anything bigger available. Then two days before the move we got a call from U-haul saying they didn't have a truck available for us anymore. Cool. 

Our other options were a 16' truck from Budget, which I laughed in Jared's face at when he told me, and a 24' truck from Penske that was for some reason $2,000 more expensive than the other options. We're not made of money, so we went with the 16' Budget truck, and luckily (or maybe unluckily) that one didn't fall through. 

16' of truck is not enough for a 3-bedroom house. Not even close. We ended up selling, donating, giving away, and finally throwing in dumpsters, nearly all of our furniture. Kind of weird to watch this collection of thrifted furniture I've lovingly collected over the past 7 years just get chucked in a dumpster at 1:00 a.m. because we were out of time and had no other options. 

Luckily we were able to sell almost all our bigger items on Facebook marketplace pretty quickly. We'll put that toward the bare essentials in our next place: a couch and a dining table that may take months to arrive due to 2021 shipping delays. We were able to hold onto our king mattress and bed frame (but not our guest bed--sorry family, hopefully we'll have a new one by the end of the year). Also our midcentury thrifted record table and a few pieces of patio furniture, and our dressers. But not much else. The silver lining is that we can start fresh and I can use my InTeRiOr DeSiGn CeRtIfIcAtE skills to choose out exactly what we want (within reason). The tricky part is that it'll probably take quiiiite a while until our next home is fully furnished. Like I said, I'll push for a dining table and couch from the get-go, and from there we can plan and save up for the rest. Maybe there will even be a killer thrift store near our next hometown. Please bless. Jared is not a fan of the thrifted furnitures, but golly I love a good thrift find. 

I'm glad I started packing for this move in February. It was still a scramble at the end though. Our ward missionaries came by two evenings before we had to be out of our house and helped Jared load the truck while I taped dressers closed and went on a sandwich run. Then when they had to leave an hour later, Jared and I played moving truck tetris and made a thousand trips to thrift stores and dumpsters to make everything fit. 

On our last night in our house, we got a text from our buyers telling us they were going to be in town at 8:00 a.m. for the walkthrough and needed to be able to move in immediately after. Would've been nice to know. Our realtor had told us we had until after closing in the late afternoon, but we told the buyers we'd try to be out in the morning. So we stayed up most of the night making final preparations and cleaning everything. It all turned out ok, but we are very exhausted and living like hobos with our cars stuffed full of all the random odds and ends from our house that wouldn't fit in the truck. 

We're happy to be settled into our hotel now, even if Jack did discover the magic of an easily accessible microwave and burn a bag of popcorn so badly that our entire floor reeks of smoke. Jared's residency graduation is tomorrow, and then we'll hit the road for Washington. Hopefully the worst of the record-breaking Seattle heat-wave will be over by then! Here are some highlights from our last week:

^^(L-R Whitney Cassity, Kyla Alvey, Me, Amber Thielbar) This is a photo Jack took tonight of me with my best Bar Nunn friends. We became close during our time all serving in YW together. My eyes are puffy and sleep deprived, but I also see joy, sadness, and comfort in my own burnt-popcorn-smelling, makeupless, gross-moving-day skin. Thanks to all of you who prayed these friends to me before we moved here.

Jared and I have moved 5 times now, each time having lived in the past place at least a year or two. This is the first time I haven't just stolen away into the night, not bothering to say goodbye to anyone because goodbyes and emotions are hard. The first time I've made friends that I feel a deep closeness with and sadness about leaving behind. From Whitney I've learned how to serve others without them asking. From Kyla I've learned how to love big and be a friend to everyone. From Amber I've learned how to unapologetically be myself and have a good time. Wish I could pack this group of Wyoming's best into our moving truck and bring them with me. Shoulda paid that extra $2,000 for the 24-footer after all. So grateful that me asking them if we could do one last park playdate picnic turned into Whitney picking me and Jack up from our hotel for cookies and goodbyes at Antelope Park.
^^One last walk along the North Platte River. We saw a huge beaver floating underneath the bridge. Jack made us carry him the rest of the hike after that. He's not too sure about beavers.
^^Bar Nunn finally got its own grocery store our last month living here, and this is it! It's called "Jimmy B's Groceries" and is literally just a little spare room in someone's warehouse with a gas station-esque variety of snacks. It's amazing. 
^^The view from our favorite Casper restaurant, Ludovico's.
^^Another photo by Jack. My favorite hike one last time with my friend Amber and new friend Mandi. Jack was a champion keeping up with Amber's 3 older boys. He does great with older kids. He hike-ran almost the entire thing by himself.
^^Jack, Phoenix, Ezra, Talon.

We have one last day to bid Casper goodbye tomorrow. I hope it's filled with another hike, a bit of shopping, a sit-down lunch, a really good nap, and a wonderful graduation dinner for Jared to tie it all together. We've really, genuinely loved our time in Casper. 10/10 would come back to live here someday if we could tone down the wind and bring our families closer. 

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.