Jack's First Birthday

One is so fun! I mean, it's also terrifying now that Jack has figured out how to throw a good tantrum, but I'm reminding myself that tantrums aren't nearly as terrifying as having chronic postpartum pelvic pain while dealing with a colicky infant (last year), or being horrifically ill and bedridden for an entire pregnancy (two years ago). Weird how perspective and comparison can change everything. Anyway, this post is about adorable bb Jack's first birthday! 
As Jack's first birthday approached, I didn't think I'd get sad or sentimental about it. I know a lot of moms cry so hard on their baby's first birthday because "They're just growing so fast! Where is my baby going?!" I love Jack to pieces, but little newborn baby Jack put me through the wringer. If you've had a colicky baby you know that your soul kind of dies during that phase and you just survive the best you can. Having to combine his colic with the extreme pain I was in for the first 6 months of Jack's life was pretty traumatizing. A lot of the first year of Jack's life was painful, debilitatingly exhausting, and soul-crushing. None of that was Jack's fault, but I looked at his first birthday as more of a celebration of Jack getting older rather than a sadness at leaving his babyhood behind. 
That said, I'll admit I cried as I put my baby to bed the night before his first birthday. I strung up some photos from his first year of life and realized that cliche though it is, my perfect baby boy really is growing up so fast. I love his spunky little personality and the mischievous twinkle in his eyes so much. Jared and I spent a good chunk of time that night before his birthday going through old videos of tiny baby Jack.
I kept his birthday low-key. We don't have family in Wyoming, and though we've made friends, the thought of throwing a party for a one-year-old stressed me and Jared out. So we just celebrated the three of us at home, and our parents video called in for Jack to blow out his candle and open his presents. I made an extra effort to play Jack's favorite games with him during the day, and when the afternoon started to feel long, we hit up the McDonald's drive-thru for some birthday fries for Jack and a large Dr. Pepper for Mom. (Because HEY, February 25 is as much of a celebration of me doing a really hard thing as it is a celebration of Jack's birthday. Go me.) I also let Jack open a new present every time he woke up from a nap. I figured he'd appreciate his presents more if they came at him gradually throughout the day than he would if we had him open them all up in the evening right before he had to go to bed. It helped the day to be a good Jack day.
To decorate, I just strung some red and black streamers and made a photo garland of a picture from each month of Jack's life. Jared was confused about why I picked "devil colors" for Jack's birthday theme, but it was intended to be more of a lumberjack theme. If I had done more with the decorations that might have come through, but I'm too lazy haha. We put up some balloons, but I took them down after Jack saw them and burst into tears. This was during a period where Jack was terrified of all balloons and big balls. A few days after his birthday we went to a party where a bunch of older boys were playing with a beach ball. That cured him, and now balloons are a staple toy in our house.
^^Jack's favorite spot in our home. He loves to sit on the windowsill and either look outside at cars going by, or just look inward and survey his kingdom. He also loves ambushing Savvy when she's up there. Nothing is funnier to him. The tongue out is something Jack does when he's teething. At one year old, Jack had two teeth on bottom, and two teeth about to pop through on top.
Jared and I got Jack just a couple of toys from the dollar store for his birthday (bubbles, a tiny soccer ball, and a thrifted rolling duck toy). His grandparents came in clutch with all the cool presents. Jack got a rocking horse, some really cute wood toys, and so much more.
I made Jack a smash cake the day before his birthday. I don't enjoy baking, and it came out looking less grand than anything I pinned on Pinterest, but the cake itself tasted amazing so we're calling it a win. It was a devil's food cake with kind of a whipped cream frosting. I stuck some construction paper trees on top for the "lumberjack theme."
Jack's Uncle Tim was able to call home from his mission earlier that day, so we did a mini cake smash then with just a cupcake. I wish I'd taken some pictures or video of that one, because it was much funnier than his tentative poking at his actual smash cake. He was super confused about the candle on his cupcake and he ended up putting it out with his fingers. Then he tasted the cake and really went at it.
^^Talking to both of his adoring grandmas.

I'm so grateful to have Jack in my life. He is a spunky little firecracker and we love him fiercely! He is more adorable than I ever imagined a child of mine being, and homeboy keeps us laughing (also crying) with his uncontainable curiosity and personality. Lots of the cliches that I hear other moms say about their babies don't quite fit the way that I feel about motherhood, but boy, I really do love that adorable little chunker more every day.

I'll have to do a "Jack at One Year" post with all of his measurements, likes, dislikes, etc. after he has his next checkup. He might be behind his peers in snuggliness, patience, and ability to say "mama," but he is almost certainly ahead in weight, height, mobility, mischief, manipulation, and sass. He's a clever little cuss. Nothing brings me more joy than watching him light up at the things that make him most happy (mostly his dog and his food). Happy Birthday Jack Jared Lambert! One year old looks really stinkin cute on you.

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.