To All the Single Ladies


I'm a little embarrassed to write this post, but several years ago I promised myself that I'd share this with you after I got married.

Behold, the secret to all my dating successes:
(surely my old roommates will remember this)
(and surely my husband will read this blog post and make fun of me)
Behold, a self-help book from the 90's! My name is Laura, and I am (well, was) a Rules girl.

I don't think I've ever read another self-help book in my life, but ladies, this one works. And you can buy it for less than a dollar on Amazon!

Mostly what The Rules did for me was give me an attitude adjustment on dating. Because let's be honest--dating can be ultra lame.

I won't bore you with what the rules are--you can find a summary online and then read them yourselves in this less-than-a-dollar paperback. I've had friends tell me that it wasn't in their personality to follow these rules, but let me tell you, as soon as they decided to give it a try things started looking up.

If nothing else, this book will help you to look at yourself differently--as a beautiful, talented woman who is oozing with self-confidence. So why not at least give it a shot for a few months? You can ditch it later if you still believe it's "not for you." I've heard rumors that Kate Middleton is a Rules girl though, so . . .

Ok, now I'm really embarrassed, so I'm going to end this post. As a side note, since this was written in the 90s it refers to communications in terms of land-lines and answering machines, not Facebook conversations and text messages. I had no trouble applying the concepts over, but the authors recently wrote a new book. It's called Not Your Mother's Rules, and it includes tips for modern day dating and communications. I've never read it, so I can't recommend it. But it's out there if you're interested.

One last note. If you do decide to read this book, take it with a grain of salt. I applied all the general rules in my dating life, but ignored or adapted certain rules to my situation (a young, LDS dater with texting capabilities and a singles' ward). And for heaven's sakes, if the authors tell you to change your appearance, please ignore them. That is just silly.

Alright, 18-year-old Laura. I posted the post. Now please, stop nagging me.


2 comments

  1. This is hilarious. Now I kinda want to know what they are! Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. I'm humiliated I had to post this :)

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.