Alice Lark at 6 Months

^^A really great baby mullet moment. Big Wayne's World vibes. 

Happy 6 Months to Baby Alice! It feels like we're entering a new era (sitting up, solids, etc.), and even though the time is going too fast, I am loving this stage. It felt so far off when she was a little newborn, but now that we're here it happened in a blink. 

Nicknames: Ali Girl, Baby Al, Larky Loo, Albert, Goose (the shortened form of an earlier nickname, "Baby McAngel McGuffet McStuffins McGoose"). Mostly she's just "Alice." Sometimes Jared will throw in an "Alicia Keys," but that is this only nickname I hear from him (Alice has always been his favorite name so makes sense). The rest is all me and my bizarre nicknaming tendencies. I just can't help what comes out of my mouth when I see my cute widdle baby gooses. 

New milestones: We've started solids! So far she's loved butternut squash, applesauce, and pears. Whenever she tries a new food she makes the most concerned-looking face and furrows her little brow while she contemplates the flavor. Then after another try or two she's usually reaching for more. She prefers if we load up a spoon and hand it to her so she can feed herself. It makes it into her mouth about 40% of the time. More often than not she feeds it directly into her eyeball, nostril, or hair. It's very fun. I am loving having her sit at the table and eat with us at dinner time. Keeps her busier and happier than she used to be during dinner. She's still a little wobbly in her high chair, but her ability to balance and sit on her own is getting better every day. 

Size: Starting to grow out of her 3-6 month clothes. Wearing size 2 diapers. 

Tricks: Rolling all the time. Might be pushing up onto her knees soon. Starting to spend more time in her baby walker and activity bouncer. Easily flops out of her bath seat so we have to keep a keen eye on her all through bath time. She's so happy and smiley and makes the cutest noises during baths so we wouldn't want to miss a second of that anyway.

Jack is as in love with Alice as ever. He is the best big brother and loves finding new ways to play with and hold her. I might have mentioned this in a previous post, but sometimes he'll ask a question and I'll answer and he'll say, "No I was talking to Alice." And then I'm required to respond on behalf of Alice in a baby voice because I am not invited to their conversation, but also I'm required to be Alice's baby voice in the conversation. It's a good time. 

Sleep is overall good! Last week I was only getting 3-hour stretches of sleep at a time and that was rough. This week she's doing a longer stretch again. Still eating twice per night and then going right back to sleep when she's done. I'm tired but not debilitatingly so, and I think I'll actually miss our special midnights together when this stage is over (though I am VERY excited for her to get down to one nightly feed). Naps are good too. On average she takes a one-hour nap in the morning, a two-hour nap in the afternoon (coinciding with Jack's preschool--amazing), and a 40-minute nap in the early evening. Usually at least one of those naps will be even longer. (Not really an Alice update, but my milk supply is slowly picking back up, hallelujah!)

The smiles and laughs are happening more and more often. My favorite times are when Alice wakes up happy and cooing, and then gives me the biggest smiles and kicks her legs when I walk into her room. She's the best. Her smiles, dimples, big soulful eyes and floppy hair get me every time. I love how she sleeps on her side or tummy, one arm curled around her little cow lovey. Jared and I have decided that the Lovey is the superior baby sleep crutch. Small enough to be portable and not get tangled up in. Easier for her to grab onto than the pacifier was. Doesn't mess with teeth. Also it's just so stinkin cute. Before bed we love checking in on Jack, who inevitably has one arm wrapped around his stuffed bunny, and then checking in on Alice, who has one arm around her cow lovey. Gets us right in the feels. 

Alice is growing like a weed. Her hair is going to need a trim to even it out very soon! Her fingernails need to be trimmed ALL the time. They grow into little razor blades so quickly. Enjoy some pictures of our sweet Baby Alice, starting with a lil' photoshoot in a dress my talented mom hand-crocheted when I was a baby (there will be another, more summery photoshoot in this dress next month):

Our date buddy! Jared and I decided to retry our Valentine's date on the 10-year anniversary of when we got engaged (pi day). This time Jack was at school and Alice was a happy girl. Success! We grabbed some snacks at the grocery store and then drove up to our mountain lookout and talked about what our next 10 years together might look like, and how happy we are with how the last 10 years panned out. 
^^Love this girlie! Mostly we're doing purees, but this butternut squash was soft as butter and she loved grabbing it with her hands and feeding herself.

^^A happy lady! My babies get happier as they learn more skills so Alice is thriving lately. Today Jack said, "I'm happy we have Alice. My favorite is when she smiles at me." We love having Alice Lark in our family so much.  <3

Post a Comment

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.