Grenada Q & A

Let's do a little Grenada Q and A! This should be fun considering that we've never been to the island and so we don't have any absolute answers . . . but what the heck, I'm doing this anyway!

Q: Why Grenada?
A: This particular medical school, St. George's University, is the best Caribbean medical school there is. It places more doctors into first-year US residency programs than any other medical school. And bonus, because students tend to prefer staying in the country, it's easier to get into than a lot of US med schools (but definitely still difficult--I'll do a post on Jared's pre-med journey soon).


Q: What are you going to do there, Laur?
A: One unfortunate thing about Grenada is that it's nearly impossible to get a worker's visa. So unless you're a native, good luck finding work. (You won't.) I'm hoping to find some online freelance editing work, and to write a book. Because honestly, when else in my life am I going to have two years all to myself with no children and no work commitments? I'm seizing the opportunity.

Q: Are you going to be homeless?
A: Nope--we found a place! It's somewhat ghettoer than we were hoping for because all the places we had our eyes on got snatched up as soon as we expressed interest. But it's great for newlyweds and we'll be surrounded by already welcoming members of the LDS branch there, so we're pretty stoked about the situation.

Q: Is it safe?
A: The island is safe (or so we've heard). Most of the apartments have bars on their windows to protect from robberies, but supposedly there's not as much violent crime. Jared got me pepper spray just in case though.

Q: What is the island like?
A: I've never been there, but I've read lots of blogs of student wives and I've seen lots of pictures. It is beautiful! The beaches are gorgeous and Grenada is famous for its fresh spices. There will be lots of foods I've never tried and maybe animals (bugs) I've never seen. The islanders are really nice, I've heard. The weather is hot and humid year round and the pace of everyday life is slow. It's still a third world country, but I'm really excited to get to know and love the culture! In some ways, I feel like this will be a bit of a mission experience for me, and I'm just really looking forward to that.















Seventeen days until the big move. We are so excited! Any other questions about our upcoming Grenada lives? Ask away!


4 comments

  1. Sounds like a great adventure! It also looks beautiful. I hope you guys enjoy every moment of living there =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I am so dang excited for you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AM SO EXCITED. i can't wait to read about all of your adventures. living in the caribbean sounds too dreamy!

    ReplyDelete

Instagram

© Simpleton Pleasures. Design by MangoBlogs.